Saturday, 14 June 2014

Introduction to the Wattle

Looking through "What's on Melbourne", I stumbled across an entry that simply said "Volunteers required to assist with renovating the Steam Tug Wattle". The directions were to come down to Fishermen's Wharf and meet the crew that were currently working on the Wattle. Nothing ventured - nothing gained. It was quite hard to find the site, as I had not been down to that part of the docks before, and took a while to figure out where I actually was. Right under the Bolte Bridge, down along Lorimer Street, near the incoming Ingles Street. The wire mess fence had an opening through main gate. I drove up to the site and simply walked in the yard. On arrival, I was directed to see Anthony Mansfield, who was willing to show me around. It was amazing! The Wattle is so spectacular in shape, but I was even more amazed to see down inside the vessel, with its fascinating working steam engine. Anthony introduced me to the team members, as we met, touring through the different sections and ships container (the workshops) on land. It was impossible not to "sign Up". I promised to come down again the next week.




No comments:

Post a Comment